What is Smart Growth?
Smart Growth concentrates growth in well established and designated growth areas such as urban centers, boroughs, and areas with existing infrastructure. Smart growth advocates for higher density land use planning, mixed use development, environmentally-friendly development practices, in conjunction with preservation of farmland, open space and natural resources.
Our Goals to Achieve Smart Growth
• Encouraging environmentally sound development practices
• Sustaining healthy farms and abundant farmland
• Revitalizing our older urban areas
• Fostering economic growth that brings high quality jobs to our citizens
• Assuring reasonable housing costs remain within reach of most households and providing an array of housing opportunities in our communities
• Matching infrastructure development with growth strategies and in areas where infrastructure currently exists